Storage & Packing Tips
- Use proper packing material and sturdy boxes. You will appreciate it in the long run.
- Place heavy items in smaller boxes (each box should not weigh more than 40 pounds) and lighter items in larger boxes.
- If possible use original cartons for electronic equipment i.e. stereo equipment, televisions, as well as small kitchen appliances like microwaves.
- Write on the outside of the box (top and side) the contents of the box and what room it will go into. Mark FRAGILE when appropriate.
- Keep a list of boxes itemizing the boxes and their contents and where the boxes are stored.
- Use plenty of packing paper or bubble wrap when packing fragile items.
- Never use plastic or bubble wrap to protect wood. Never use tape on wood.
- Pack one room at a time.
- Don’t overload or overstuff boxes.
- Fill any voids with packing material to avoid items shifting.
- Tie rakes, shovels, brooms, mops etc. together or wrap with plastic film and store in a large garbage can.
- Don’t forget to save some boxes and packing material for those last minute items.
- Lay down cardboard or skids on the floor of your unit.
- Create a walkway inside your unit to allow access to your items.
- Items you will require access to should be stored at the front of your unit.
- Stack similar sized boxes together
- Some sofas can be placed on their end to conserve space.
- Place mattresses and box springs on their end as well. Use mattress covers.
- Refrigerators should be dried completely and the door left ajar.
- Cover furniture to prevent dust.
- Ensure all items/appliances are emptied of liquid to avoid freezing and breaking.
- Clean appliances well of any food residue to avoid attracting mice.
- Remove gas and oil from lawn mowers etc. and disconnect any batteries. Hazardous items may not be stored.
- Always disassemble furniture and tables to conserve space.
- Keep a list of your stored items and keep it in a safe place.
Items That Should Not Be Stored
- Food – Never store food items. These attract mice and other rodents and or insects and bugs.
- Hazardous materials – items that are flammable corrosive or explosive should never be stored.